Saturday, July 11, 2015

Day 45 in Ecuador

This day started off brilliantly with a much needed full night of sleep. I felt much better in the morning and my appetite was starting to return. I made myself some breakfast and then made my way to La Luz church, where the new 5v5 soccer field is. Dale was unable to come this morning because he wasn't feeling that well this morning (he has gotten better though). At the church, I met up with Edgar and his friend, Patrick, to hand out fliers for the new soccer field. This was actually really encouraging because a lot of people seemed very interested in the field. In case I haven't explained this yet, the field will be available for people to rent and those proceeds will help Cumbre Alta as a club.

After handing out fliers, we then made our way to a Ceviche restaurant to grab something to eat. I ended up not getting anything because of my recent sickness. Anyways, it was a lot of fun getting to talk to Edgar and get to know him some more.

Once we finished eating, I grabbed a bus and made my way back to la Casablanca. I wasn't really sure what I was planning on doing the rest of the afternoon, but I knew I wanted to do something. I had just been reading about Elijah in 1 Kings and was just overwhelmed at the amount of faith he had in God, despite all the crazy things God was calling him to do. Throughout the day I was reminded of this story and wanted to really be seeking after what God may be calling for me. After lunch, I felt like I should go practice guitar outside where there is an awesome view. So I went there and there ended up being a 9 year old boy, Sebastian, there playing some soccer. I eventually asked him if he wanted to play and he said yes. So we played 1v1 for a bit (he was very impressive) and then his sister ended up coming out and two other much younger kids. We were able to all hang out together and I was showing them my mediocre guitar skills, which they were very impressed with. Dale eventually came out and started hanging out with us as well. I really had a blast hanging out with the kids. Apparently they are now living in Casa Elizabeth, the pregnancy home right above la Casablanca, because they are no longer in school. Hopefully we have more chances to see these kids and connect with them more!

The kids eventually had to leave and Dale and I, along with Merrick and Megan, made our way to Supermaxi. Dale and I invited 4 players from Cumbre Alta to come to church with us and also to come to la Casablanca afterwards where we would cook them brunch. As of now we think that 3 of them will be able to come. So we needed to go to Supermaxi to buy the food needed to make our brunch.

Once we made it back to la Casablanca, I made myself some dinner and then played a game of Euchre. I then was able to Skype Jeni again which was very nice and crazy that it's the last time we will Skype before I come home. After we Skyped, I then went downstairs and joined a really deep conversation Dale and Mabe were having about Christianity. It was an awesome conversation, a difficult one, but definitely helpful.

I cannot say this enough, but God is so good. So often I struggle with determining what His will is for me throughout the day as I attempt to seek Him. Something as simple as a sensing that I should play the guitar outside lead to me getting to meet 5 awesome kids and hopefully have a good impact on them. God works in wondrous ways. Days like today help me to realize that if we truly are seeking after God's will, He will reveal it to us and show us the wonders of following His will.

Praise God for all the He is and for His amazing work! Also be praying for our with the Cumbre Alta players tomorrow, that God would guide our conversations and that He would be stirring in their hearts as they join us for church.

Dios Bendiga,
Nico

2 comments:

  1. Great to hear you're feeling better! Great stories of the way God can work when we are available and willing. I will be praying for you and Dale today and your relationships and conversations. Amor, Papa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being faithful with regular posting Nich, God is definitely anointing you & Dale moment by moment for what He is doing around the people there. Praise God for health and a new day to see God's hand in your work, play and relationship!!!! Cheering you on mi amigo!!

    ReplyDelete