Thursday, July 16, 2015

Day 50 in Ecuador

Day 50 was one of the most tiring days Dale and I have had so far. The day started out very frustrating as well. I did my usual routine in the morning and decided to go to the ATM in the morning because I pretty much had no money left. I took a taxi there for $1.50 and then found out the place where the ATM was didn't open until 9:30 (this was at about 8:45). So I decided to wait and eventually asked someone for help who told me there was another machine close by. I then went to get money from that one but my card, for some reason, would not work at this one (I tried about 50 times and probably looked like a very stupid gringo). I then decided to wait until 9:30 for the other ATM. Once the place opened, I went to get money out only to find out that the machine was broken. I only had another $1.50 to go home so I was hoping I would get another taxi driver who would drive me home for the same and I did. So I spent pretty much an hour of my morning not doing anything. 

Anyways I got to work around 10:00 with a bad attitude (which I had already had before my trip this morning) and worked for about an hour on the ministry report project. We then left Casablanca at around 11:30 to go help out with the soccer camp that Pan de Vida was running this week (this was the same one our team helped out with last year). On the way there, the song/psalm "This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it" popped into my head randomly (which I now see as God's work). It made me realize how blessed Dale and I are here to be in Ecuador and that we should be happy and serve God with a joyful heart today. Again, just another amazing example of how God is always with us and faithful in answering prayers, despite when we screw up. 

Pepe! He's alive and well
Before we went to Pan de Vida, I was able to successfully get money out of an ATM. We then got to Pan de Vida and saw some of the same kids that we hung out with last year. A lot of them even remembered us which was awesome. We hung out with them while they ate lunch and then played a fun game of UNO with some of them. Dale then lead some worship songs (I have the joy in my heart, Ain't no rock, With Christ as my Vessel) and another guy lead a devotional. We then made our way to the field and had a fun time leading some drills and eventually finishing in 3 small sided games. The kids seemed to have a lot of fun and I was surprised how much they enjoyed us being there and were sad that we couldn't come back tomorrow. After the camp was over we headed back, said our goodbyes, and then made our way to U12 Cumbre Alta practice. Edgar lead today's practice, which went well. 

These two events with the kids wiped me out. Working with kids is a tiring experience for me and something I enjoy, but also struggle with. I was telling Dale about how I love seeing the fruit of my work or that my work is really making an impact. When I work with kids, it's harder for me to know that what I am doing is making a difference which makes it more difficult for me. Nevertheless, I know and trust that God put us here today for a reason and that His work was being done.

Pan de Vida soccer camp
After the U12 Cumbre practice, Dale and I did some sprints and the a good abs/pushup workout afterwards. We then went to eat at Que Pincho with Edgar (we were happy to see this was open because it had been close for the past week). Then was Cumbre Alta practice which 10 guys came to, which was perfect for 5v5. We had a good time playing and ended up getting some soda to drink together afterwards. We then made our way home where we were able to hang out a little with some of the interns that were still up. It was a very nice way to end a very long day.

U12 Cumbre Practice
When looking back on today, I recognize and see the many ways that God was at work. I knew my attitude was struggling in the morning and I was praying for God to help me work through it and he proved Himself faithful by putting that Psalm in my head and making me realize His goodness. I also just recognize how God is at work despite my weaknesses such as my lack of energy or my anger and frustration. Praise God for His ending grace and love and praise Him for all the work that He did today. 

Something I am realizing as I write this blog for today is that this trip is all about God and what He is doing in Ecuador. God has blessed me with the ability to join Him and serve Him but ultimately it's all about Him. Praise God for all that He and for all the lessons He is teaching me!

Dios Bendiga,
Nico


 

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What a powerful testimony about how God is so awesome and merciful and can do his work through us even though we are imperfect and may have the wrong attitudes, feel unqualified or wonder if we're making a difference. Thanks for your honest reflections. God continues to teach me many of the same things. I have been so encouraged by watching God's faithfulness and patience with you. It gives me hope in my own journey.

    Now for some encouragement. You have planted many seeds and watered others. God is in charge of the growth! You have been faithful even when you feel sad, discouraged or disappointed and wonder if you've made a difference. Read 1 Corinthians 3:5-7.

    God has given you the strength to serve. Read 1 Timothy 1:12. God is good! Have a great day serving Him!

    I can't wait to see you next week.

    Amor, Papa

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. We won our first softball playoff game 17-7 over LCOG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise God Nich for everything- the good, the difficult and the growth thru both experiences: God is always moving and your testimony encouraged me to press on today- Vamos Nich, change the world for Jesus!!!!

    ReplyDelete